BITUMEN EMULSION FOR ROAD CONSTRUCTION
Today the main use of bitumen is in the road making industry for construction and maintenance. bitumen emulsions are a dispersion of bitumen in an aqueous continuous phase, stabilized by the addition of an emulsifier. They are prepared as emulsions at high temperatures, but applied as solid dispersions at ambient temperatures. In road making, bitumen products are typically applied with mineral aggregate. The strong adhesion that occurs between the bitumen and mineral aggregate enables the bitumen to act as a binder, with the mineral aggregate providing mechanical strength for the road.
Bitumen is difficult to work with, at ambient temperatures since it is a highly viscous material under these conditions. it can, however be transformed into a workable state by blending with petroleum solvents or by emulsification with a surfactant in water to form a bitumen emulsion. Emulsified bitumen acts as a key tool in road maintenance and construction technology as it combines amazing versatility while offering multiple comparativeadvantages.
Types of Grades:
As Per IS 8887:2004, We manufacture 5 grades of Cationic Bitumen Emulsion. They are
- Rapid Setting (RS-1): It is Recommended for tack coat applications
- Rapid Setting (RS-2): It is recommended for surface dressing, grouting
- Medium Setting (MS): It is used for repair work/ surface dressing/ penetration macadam
- Slow Setting (SS-1): It is used for Prime Coat. Crack sealing and fog seal.
- Slow Setting (SS-2): It is used for slurry seal, road mixes and for prime coat applications.
Advantages of Bitumen Emulsions
- It can be used in damp environment on wet aggregates
- Road repair work can be carried out in minimum time
- Provides better tack coat with better workable conditions
- It can be used in any season
- Since heating is not required it cant pollute air
- Long storage stability in clean containers/Tanks
- Coice of viscosity for different applications.